2040 رؤية عمان
Research and innovation are essential elements of global economic competitiveness in the 21st century. They underpin social and economic development across all areas, and are fundamental to economic and digital transformation, global competitiveness and national well-being. Successful engagement in economic and digital transformation increasingly defines the world’s most dynamic economies. Given their importance, the conference, Research and Innovation in Support of Economic and Digital Transformation in Oman: Enabling Vision 2040 will bring together academics, researchers, thought- leaders, industry representatives, policy makers, and community representatives to explore how research and innovation can support economic and digital transformation. The event is an opportunity for participants from Oman and across the world to examine some of the opportunities and challenges associated with economic and digital transformation, including how research and innovation can most effectively support this transformation in Oman.
• Facilitate interdisciplinary, international dialogue about the ways research and innovation can effectively support economic and digital transformation.
• Identify opportunities and challenges associated with the economic and digital transformation of Omani society and of other societies around the world.
• Discuss opportunities for enhancing economic and digital transformation through research and innovation efforts within the framework of the Fourth Industrial Revolution.
• Identify key initiatives in research and innovation that have the potential to facilitate Oman’s economic and digital transformation.
• Ensure that research and innovation are at the centre of sustainable social and economic transformation in Oman, the region, and internationally.
• Ensure the benefits of economic and digital transformation in Oman and the region are sustainable and equitably distributed.
• Establish region- and world-wide networks of institutions and researchers that are concerned with various aspects of the enhancement of economic and digital transformation through research and innovation.
• Provide opportunities for collaboration and cooperation between researchers in various aspects of economic and digital transformation in Oman, the region, and internationally.
• Help ensure Oman is well-placed to take advantage of the potential benefits that the Fourth Industrial Revolution brings.
1. Research (R) and Innovation (I) in Support of Economic Development in Oman:
• R and I in the green and blue economy
• R and I in the circular economy
• R and I in entrepreneurship in the Fourth Industrial Revolution
• R and I in diversifying the economy and promoting non-oil & gas sectors.
• 2. Research (R) and Innovation (I) in Support of Digital Transformation Development in Oman:
• Generative AI (e.g., large language models (LLM), deep learning algorithms)
• Web 3.0 (e.g., Metaverse, Fin Tech, blockchain, immersive technologists)
• Smart Cities (e.g., Space Economics, Digital Economy, Data Ethics, Business Intelligence (BI), Data Analytics etc.)
• Hyperautomation (e.g., robotic process, business process management,iPaas, low/no code, packaged software)
Sultan Qaboos University
Ministry of Higher Education, Research & Innovation
Oman Vision 2040
Ministry of Economy
Ministry of Transport, Communications & Information Technology